Pictures on Social Media

• Author

I have posted done pictures on social media of my child and know some don’t or put a stamp on the face. I’m curious to know why? Am I putting my child in danger for posting her pictures? I’m normally hesitant but then in think it’s a cute picture and want to. Is that not smart?

at #7833

Personally, I don’t want to share photos of my daughter because I don’t think it’s fair to share her photos when she’s not old enough to give consent.

There’s also the issue of privacy and not knowing who is looking at your child’s photos and what they’re doing with them. There are some cases where men are creeping on three-year-olds whose parents post their photos online and saving those photos (or even photoshopping ones where kids are doing something innocent like eating a hotdog…). It’s awful what some sick-minded people do.

I don’t mean to fearmonger, of course, but these are key reasons why I will never share my daughter’s face online publically unless she allows me to. (Even then I don’t know if I will…)

Kay, I totally understand where you’re coming from. I have heard of weirdos downloading strangers’ kids’ photos and who knows what they do with them.

On the other hand, the cat is out of the bag for me. I started posting a long time ago when social media was seemingly innocuous and not-so-public. I am posting much less though, especially with my older son who doesn’t want to be in photos anymore. If I need to share the pictures with my family/friends, I send them privately.

I don’t think that I am putting my children directly in danger by posting their photos. I don’t share the current location, and if I do tag the location it is long after we have left it. I post so that I can have an online archive of our lives and memories. I have no idea where all the photos I have been taking up to now have ended up, they’re scattered in hard disks, various clouds, old computers… but with FB/Instagram, I have a nicely curated timeline of happy memories (of course we only post the good ones!)

I can see from both sides: choosing to post or not. What I am uncomfortable with is excessive sharing, exploiting children for profit (or attention), making children perform for social media.. basically the extreme end of oversharing.

at #7844

Thanks for sharing the other side of “to post or not to post”, Savvy!

There are indeed two sides to this topic, and as Savvy mentioned, if you’re not making your child “perform for social media” or getting some sort of financial reward for sharing your child’s face online, or if you don’t have a public persona that might make your child a target of someone, then there may not be a problem with it at all. It all comes down to what you feel is best for your child.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.