Hello

• Author

I’m a British woman living in Tokyo. I recently married my husband (who moved to Japan from a different country about 10 years ago) and we’ve been trying-but-not-trying for a couple of months now.

I don’t really know anyone here in Tokyo who’s at a similar stage in life and of course I don’t have any family or in-laws in Japan, so it’s a bit overwhelming at the moment trying to get all the information we need. Not just about becoming parents for the first time but also navigating that in a different country. I somehow was able to pass N2 Japanese but I don’t have the vocabulary to understand a lot of the Japanese information out there for new mothers.

Anyway, wish me luck! If anyone would like some support or commiseration please feel free to get in touch via Line or meet for オッフ会.

at #7840

Hi PanchikoWizard!

Thanks for joining the forum and introducing yourself. I hope that it’s helpful and feel free to ask any questions you have, I always try to boost questions on my Twitter as well. There are a few single parents as well as ones without a Japanese spouse, so I think they’ll be more than willing to help out and connect.

I also hope your TTC journey is successful!

at #7865

Hi! If you have N2, you could try having a look for a written guide etc. I bought the book すべてわかる妊娠と出産の本 when I was first starting, which I believe is a direct translation of the American book What To Expect When You’re Expecting. Helped a tonne with learning pregnancy/baby vocab!

I just wanted to update that our baby is now one month old! I ended up getting a ton of documents from the kuyakusho, the maternity clinic, and Sekushi Baby magazine that were a great source of vocab. By the end, I was able to chat with the nurses about my pregnancy journey and understand all the doctor’s instructions during labour in Japanese. Phew!

at #8502

That’s wonderful news! Congratulations!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.