Reply To: The future

I had this conversation with my mum before N was born. Like, global warming, carbon footprint of having a child, all that stuff felt so oppressive and I felt so conflicted about all that coupled with my lifelong desire to have a baby. Was it right? Was it ethical to bring another life into this fucky world? When I spoke to her about it, she said, “honestly, every generation feels like this” and while it may be easy to say “yes, but our threats in this generation are different“… how different is it, I wonder? We have climate change, economic instability, human rights crises… Previous generations had World Wars, Cold War, chaotic revolutions and crushed uprisings – depending on where you live there’s never been a “good” time to have a kid, I guess. We have no way of really knowing what the future will be like. It may be worse in many ways, it may be better in many others. While yes, there are various models that make various predictions, we don’t know what’s going to happen for sure. If worrying too much about a future “if” that we can’t control paralyses us into inaction and prevents us improving* our “now” then it isn’t a productive use of our time. (*in our own individual ways, as much as we can!)

As for raising a child in Japan vs. England… oh boy, Japan for sure. There is too much going on in England right now, and none of it good. Give it another decade or so and I’ll get back to you…